Wednesday, January 2, 2008

So much for updating...

Lets try again.

I'm determined to keep this updated, mainly for Uncle Mark and Maria over in the US! I can't wait to see you guys in Feb. Maria, I can't wait to meet you and get some advice! My ultimate dream is to be able to run a triathalon, so any advice would be GREAT!


CHRISTMAS - I'm so glad to see the backside of Christmas. Although relaxing on the actual day, the hype and leadup to it is just a month long headache for me. I try to enjoy it, and I'm in the spirit for around 8.7hrs, but in all honesty, I don't enjoy the festive season, moreso this year.

This is my baby girl Mia, at 22 months, on Christmas Day:



Mia was rushed to hospital Christmas Eve. She had what I thought was a normal bout of gastro 2 days previous, but over the course of those days got steadily worse. The day before Christmas Eve she was sleeping up to 20hrs a day, keeping NOTHING down, and just was not herself. I listened to my gut and took her to A & E, only to be told it's gastro. The gave her some Gastrolite she picked up, and they sent us home. An hour later, the gastrolite had come back up, and she was on the floor crying.

I put her to bed, and all the night hardly slept. I felt uneasy. Something just wasn't right. I rang

Nurse On Call

and had a chat to a lovely lady, and she said it's just gastro too, and to keep up the fluids and gastrolite, and not try to feed her.

Christmas Eve morning when Mia woke, I got her out of bed, and she collapsed. She couldn't even stand anymore. Scared and emotional, I rushed her to the hospital again and demanded blood tests and fluids.



Upon admission we were down to 9.3kg! When stripped down, she was skin and bones. I just sobbed and sobbed. I felt like (and still do!) I had failed her. I had to wait until she was skin and bones and unable to stand until I became assertive in seeking help. She was (and still is!) all skin and bones. We managed to get up to 10.3kg by the end of Boxing Day when we were discharged. The Paed said that although her condition isn't bad, because she was such a petite thing to begin with, the consequences are more severe, and will be with any illness she gets, because she's so small it knocks her for 6!. We were diagnosed with

Rotavirus

and the Paed said if I'd left it another day or two, it could've easilly taken her life.

Apparently now we have antibodies built up for Rotavirus, and should she ever get it again, it won't be so severe.

We celebrated Christmas on Boxing Day, and although still miserable, Mia managed to eat some vegies and walk around a bit, but spent most of the day sitting and watching:



And here we are a week later, back to our usual, energetic self:



THAT was an experience I hope to never go through again.

No comments: